Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Summer Country Putz Cardboard House



I call this the Summer Country House. I made it using a Accucut custom die that I designed. You may remember a couple of other houses I've made using the same die that have a front gable - here and here. I did cut off the front gables though to simplify the design (since it is a simple country house).

I used Stampendous stamps to make the door, brick work, and windows. I love these stamps. I stamped them on a piece of paper, then colored them, fussy cut them out and then glued it to the house. I think I should have stamped directly though. The openings for the windows are so small that it would have been difficult to cut them out directly on the cardboard. I cut out a square behind the window stamp to allow light to go through. The bricks I did stamp directly on the house. The bricks, windows and door are colored with some Tim Holtz pens which worked very well.

The roof is a La La Land grass border die that I turned upside down and layered to simulate a thatched roof. I first painted the cardstock with gesso and a beige paint then ochre. I love ochre - maybe it's the name that appeals to me, but I really think it's the color. To make the roof a little more sturdy I painted a layer of Mod Podge over it for protection.


All of that was fun, but the wall was the most fun to make. I made a stencil out of the Tim Holtz Cobblestone die by cutting out a piece of 65# cardstock then covering it with multiple layers of Mod Podge until it was totally covered and sturdy. Then I cut some pieces of thin corrugated cardboard with Tim Holtz Plaque and Postage die for the wall itself. I painted it with gesso and then dark grey paint. Once that was dry, I used the Tim Holtz Texture Paste on my Cobblestone stencil to make the rocks. I let that dry overnight then swiped some Black Soot distress paint and Ground Espresso on the rocks to give more color to them. I think they look like rocks. I love the rock wall. 


Of course, there is more to do. I am planning on adding a tree to the front, but I haven't finished that yet. That should complete the Summer Country House. I'm very pleased with how this one turned out.

P.S. The title is kind of goofy because I wanted it to come up in a google search for either Putz or Cardboard house - not that it matters much really.





3 comments:

  1. I love the bricks showing through and the wall is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this house! I think I hiked passed it on the Coast to Coast Walk in England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted it to look like an English house. I plan on adding a tree and maybe a wagon, but I haven't figured out how to make a little wagon yet.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete