Monday, July 18, 2016

Red, White and Bluebird Clock House

Still caught up in making clock houses - modified cuckoo clocks in a way. I think I am going to make one more after this then back to regular houses for a month or so.

I wanted to make a more summery clock house so this one is the Red, White, and Bluebird Clock House. It's the same base pattern as the Raven's Crest house, just adorned differently.



The walls are covered with a texture paste of stenciled bricks that have been painted white and grey. The roof is the Tim Holtz village dwelling rooftop shakes die - also grey and white. I made a chimney for this one and painted white bricks on top of a dark grey. When I glued it on, I included 2 wires for the flying birds. The wires extend past the base of the chimney onto the roof so they are very well secured. Then I covered that with the roof shakes.

I cut a hole in the front and secured a little red cardinal that was glued to a very thin wire inside that hole. I made a circular cardboard piece to surround the bird, but I cut out a section at the bottom to allow light to penetrate the rest of the house should someone want to insert a light in the back.

I stamped the clock from a Kaisercraft Vintage Clock stamp and glued it to a darker grey base and cut out cardboard stones to go around. The darker grey base looks like mortar between the stones. I did something similar around the cardinal in the center.

The tree is from the Tim Holtz bird branch die. I glued 3 layers of cardboard together to make it stronger and I cut off the bird so I could stand the branch upright. I used the bird shapes to make the bluebirds.

The cardinals are from a Tim Holtz mover and shaper die. Again I glued 3 layers together to make them more substantial and sturdier. Then I painted the birds in cardinal colors.

The white birds are from a Martha Stewart punch. I think I glued 3-4 layers together because these punches will only handle 65# cardstock rather than cardboard. They are more delicate anyway.

More photos below.






I am going to enter this in a craft challenge by Craft Stamper magazine, a British publication. 
I didn't use a lot of stamps for this project but the clock stamp is an integral part of the design.

6 comments:

  1. What a fabulous project. Thanks for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, that is fabulous, thanks so much for sharing it and for your kind words on my blog! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just spent some time enjoying your blog and all of your brilliant houses.I love them !

    You are very talented. Wishing you all the best with your hospital fundraiser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for joining in the Craft Stamper's TIMI challenge, LOVE your entry!
    xxx Ellie Knol xxx

    ReplyDelete