Saturday, December 10, 2016

Christmas Gift Box - Monday Challenge

I am kind of a "One Trick Pony" meaning most of the things I make are related to little houses. It's just my current obsession. I promised one of my friends that I would make a Christmas house for her daughter who loved her Easter house so much because it had a storage area. I made them out of the cardboard rolls from stickers and made the tops so they came off so a child could put a treasure in there. Well, apparently her daughter thinks it is just the greatest thing so I made a Christmas one for her. I also made the base larger for even more treasure storage.






































I try to make my houses really sturdy with double layer cardboard walls and coat them with Mod Podge to make them somewhat impervious to elements so I think this one will survive several Christmases.



I placed the house in a bed of glue underneath the house and "snow" made of Ranger texture paste and then sprinkled on some glitter. I also covered it with Mod Podge to try to prevent the glitter from falling off.



The main embellishments are the snowman which is a cupcake topper and the deer from Poppy stamps Christmas delights die and stamps. Again I cut out several layers and glued them together to make things sturdier.

The house itself is from one of my designs where I had some offcuts and just glued them to a cardboard rectangle and then covered it with Christmas scrapbook paper.

To make the box from the cardboard roll I glue several layers of cardboard circles together. These are 5" sizzix circles and I use the Eileen Cookie box die to adhere the bottom circle to the cardboard roll.

The top is made by cutting a strip of cardboard that goes loosely around the roll and gluing it to the top circular cardboard base the same way. I find this makes a very substantial container. It's a fair amount of work, but I really like making the bases rather than buying them.

For the edging on this house I used some ribbon left over from last year. I love all 3 of these ribbons. I think they work very well with the house.

I am usually pretty happy with the projects I post here, but sometimes a project makes me happier than others. This little house makes me very happy. I think the young lady who gets the house will be pretty tickled with it. At least I hope so.

Once again I am going to enter a challenge with the house. This week's Monday Simon Says Stamp challenge is Christmas gifts so the little house fits the challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I am always confused about the challenge. I click on your link hoping to see all of the entries, but can't seem to find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link is at the bottom under "This week's Monday Simon Says Stamp Challenge". First they have the design team projects then at the bottom of the post there are a bunch of little photos with the entries. For the Simon Says Stamp challenges they usually have 200-300+ entries. They pick out about 5-6 of their favorites and highlight them with a link, but there is a random winner of the gift certificate. See if it works when you click on the link at the very bottom of my post. Thank you for looking at my blog. It always tickles me to see a comment from you.

      Delete
  2. What a stunning house, love all the gorgeous pattern papers and the stamps are so cute. Fantastic project. Thanks for explaning about our challenge blog! And thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete