Tuesday, January 24, 2017

First Spooky House finished for 2017

Well, I finally did it. I finished the spooky house I'm going to use as my demo model. I hope to have an art sale of my Halloween houses with a non-profit charity as the beneficiary and I needed a model to get things going.

I am going to share it with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge which is "Anything but a Card". Thank goodness my house is not a card so it fits well with this theme and I don't really have to apologize for posting a house - again. I only have about an hour to get it in for this challenge.


I made this house with a custom die I designed, but it could easily be done with some of the Tim Holtz dies - particularly the Village Brownstone. The Italianate tower in the front is simply a square with the angle cut out where it meets the front of the house and the roofline. The front piece is really just half of the house put on the front as an ell. The porch is simply a piece of corrugated cardboard covered with individual strips of cardstock painted brown. I used a plain piece of cardboard for the metal roof covered with metallic duct tape from a home improvement store. The metallic tape was colored with multiple alcohol inks to give it that rusted look.


The black windows are cut from the Village manor die set from Tim Holtz and Sizzix. The shingles on the roof are also from one of the Sizzix Village rooftops dies. I colored some clear acetate packaging with Ranger alcohol ink to make the many windows - 23 or so depending on how you count the front bay windows. 


I glued the siding on piece by piece, but I am going to do it a different way next time. I am going to glue the siding pieces on BEFORE I cut out the windows next time. That will save me a lot of time "measuring" (really, roughly estimating by trial and error) the individual pieces to fit around the windows and the door. 


I had to make my own crackle paint because they don't make my favorite Distress Picket Fence crackle paint any more. I coated a piece of black cardstock with glue then painted it with white gesso, then repeated the process. The paint really does look like old peeling paint on an abandoned house so it worked out, but it took a long time. Then I cut thin strips on my guillotine cutter.


The base is my normal base of multiple layers of corrugated cardboard glued together and covered with paper mache.  I finally remembered to cut out a place for LED tea lights. See how nicely the house lights up. There is also a hole in the back if someone wants to add more light to the house.



That's the first Halloween house of 2017 for me. I am really happy about how this one turned out. I can't wait to add others to the collection.

9 comments:

  1. Wow Lucy you have done it again!! This house is out of this world beautiful - a truly spectacular creation! You took me right back to my childhood in Canada where there was an old house just like this in our neighbourhood, you really have captured the scary vibe of that house. You really are a master builder - well done on creating such a life-like building! It's incredible! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is AMAZING !!So many fantastic little details and i love all the texture. I could look at it for ages and I bet it looks so much better in real life...brilliant !
    Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many congratulations you have won our challenge over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge with your awesome spooky house ! Please email us at the address in the sidebar so we can explain how you claim your prize ! Please be sure to include your full name in your email.

    Happy shopping !

    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from seeing you won at Simon Wed Anything Goes Ch. This Haunted House is anything but anything; superbly made with wonderful Tim Holtz touches. Congrats!
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how this house turned out! I love the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you hear the squeal? That's me! LOVE your house and I read your previous post--go for it! You are amazing and you will raise plenty of money for HFH with your amazing creativity! I see above you won SSS--biggest congrats--you are so deserving! FINALLY! Yippee!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment--it made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lucy, this is Will from the forum. Who do you have make your dies? I am looking to have some custom made myself. Please email when you can at: therealwill65@gmail.com thanks!

    Will~

    ReplyDelete