Thursday, January 12, 2017

Little House for the Baby Shower - Challenge Edition



I decided to make a house for a friend's baby shower. The mom-to-be is having a baby girl which makes it a little easier in terms of color choices and frilliness. I had been thinking of something to make for the Vintage Journey's "Going Round in Circles" challenge and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday "Winter Birthday" challenge. A house - yes, I thought of making this little house. As you may have noticed I ALWAYS think of making a house. A real challenge for me is NOT making a house. The choice of my project may not be very creative, but I think the little house is a creative success.

The background is shadows from clouds as the sun shone through them. Cool, isn't it.?
I used a circular base made from a couple of ribbon rolls. I was trying to experiment with some stamping on the circles using a Tim Holtz wood grain stamp, but with so much of the circle is covered up it was not terribly effective. Still the wood grain stamping is something to be used again in the future.



The other 2 circles are the stepping stone and the clock. I used an old Tim Holtz clock stamp (old stamp, not old Tim Holtz) from a 2012 collection called "Little Things".



The paper is from a Valentine Martha Stewart 12 x 12 paper pad that is sadly no longer being made. It's a lovely set of papers. I fussy cut a bird out to sit over the door because the space looked blank and because I didn't orient the other bird in the corner correctly. The door is the 3 layers of cardboard with one layer of the woodgrain stamped paper on top with a tiny gold brad for the doorknob.

The roof is a polka dot embossed which paper that I found on a 6 x 6 pad at Michael's after Christmas sale. I edged it a little with some pink, but I'm not sure I like that. I also glittered it lightly and the used Modge Podge over the glitter so little hands won't get glitter everywhere.

To hide the edges of my cardboard circles which are made up of 3-4 layers of smooth and corrugated cardboard combined, I edged them with ribbon. On the bottom piece you can see where I held it with gesso-covered hands. That's typical for me. It just adds to the individual artistic quirkiness I tell myself.

The base consists of a larger ribbon roll over a smaller one so when the little girl gets old enough she can store her treasures in it. Storing treasures is important for a child.


So I am sharing this little house as a Winter Birthday gift for a baby on Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge and the Vintage journey challenge "Going Round in Circles".

4 comments:

  1. Lucy, your houses are always wonderful and this one is no exception. It will be a lovely gift for the mum to be to keep little treasures in for sure!

    Whilst I am here, thank you for joining in our 'Going Round in Circles' challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little house! The idea of a spot to store keepsakes is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute little house!! Wonderful design!! Love this!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely little house. Such a wonderful idea to give as a gift for your friends baby shower. Perfect for a little girl .
    Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey
    x

    ReplyDelete