Saturday, February 25, 2017

Halloween Houses for Habitat

Good news! I talked to the director of development for Habitat for Humanity in my county and got permission to sell my houses as a fundraiser for their group. I am very happy about that. My goal is to make between 20-30 houses and have them on display at a local art gallery during the month of October this year. That's actually a lot of houses for me to make by that time. I've got several left over from last year that didn't sell and now I've finished 3 so far.


That explains why I am making Halloween houses in February. Here is my most recent house which doesn't have a name. I was going to put this house on wheels and call it "Moving Day" or "On the Move" but I can't find the type wheels I want (which is the Tim Holtz Idea-ology mini-pulley wheels because they aren't available yet). I wanted to enter it in the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge "Transport It". But then I figured that the moving concept doesn't really match the house so I dropped that idea. The Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge, however, is "Anything Goes" so even my out-of-season house fits that challenge.


Often I use the Tim Holtz "Branch Tree" as the tree in the background but I figured if I am going to try to sell it at an art gallery I should draw an original tree at least some of the time. This one I drew on cardboard, painted and cut out with an exacto knife. It's a little more fragile than my usual trees, but more artistic (I tell myself).


I also wanted the fence to be less prominent so I build up layers of cardboard to put the house above the fence.


I made the rusted tin roof again. It is so easy and pretty realistic as well.


The house shape is cut from a die I had custom made. It's much thinner that most of the house dies I have, but I made it that way to I could use it on smaller bases, in a book or a configuration box. Also I can add an extension while keeping it as a smaller house.

That's it for now. I am working on a project for the Simon Says Stamp "Transport It" Challenge which I hope to have done before the Monday deadline. I hope you are doing well and thank you for looking at my blog.

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited you got your idea accepted! Yeah!

    I like the tree you did yourself! the built up land under the house is really a great idea!

    I think you should do a camping trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you built the base up for your lovely Halloween house and the tree looks very realistic. Huge congratulations, I am sure you will raise a lot of money for Habitat for Humanity! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing this house Lucy! I really like how you elevated the ground under the house - very interesting. You said this house is one of your custom dies - but I am wondering how you got the look of the planks/siding?? Did you cut individual pieces of cardboard/paper or is it painted?? And I was thinking about your houses earlier today and wondering how big they are. Would you share dimensions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lynn and Anne and Laney. I love your comments.

    Lynn, I think making a camping trailer is a great idea. I will do that.

    Laney, you asked about the siding. I aged and crackled some 110# cardstock or thin cardboard (can't remember which). Usually I paint it black with white on top, but I think this was black paint, crackle medium, white paint, then some grey. Then I cut it out with my guillotine cutter into very thin strips. Before I assembled the house I glue the pieces on each side leaving a small open space at the fold lines. Then I cut out the windows and doors. It is much easier this way. You also asked about the sizes - lately I've been making them smaller because I think it makes it easier for people to find a place to put them. This die makes a house 3.25 inches in the front, 1.5 inches deep and 4 inches high. I will write a post to explain some of these details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this is amazing, love it.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete