Sunday, March 12, 2017

The Rose Cottage for A Special Girl

I needed a gift for a friend's daughter so, of course, I made a house since that's what I do. Sometimes I am inspired and feel like everything comes together and the house looks really good. That is what happened with this project, I think.


I made a very simple gable house from a pattern I call the Steep roof house. I love the shape of this house - the same basic shape as the Sea-Worn Beach House. Then I made a second piece for the gable extension on the front. I knew I wanted it to be somewhat rustic so I made paneling with green cardstock that I painted with gesso, Ranger crackle texture paste (my new favorite crafting item), and Ranger Mowed Lawn distress paint. I think it's rustic without being dilapidated. I outlined it in a few places with Ranger distress crayons in Vintage Photo just to make the lines between the planks show up a little better. I glued the planks on before I cut out the window just like Tim Holtz showed us in his video on making the Village Manor. 


I wanted the windows to pop so I cut out the windows from the Village Manor and the Village Bell Tower in a light weight cardboard and painted them with Ranger Picked Raspberry (I thought it was pickled raspberry for the longest time). I used the smaller, less elaborate windows from the Village Bell Tower die on the front side windows because of lack of space.  


The roses are from all sorts of little rollup flower dies on pink cardstock edged with picked raspberry paint. There was a bit of gap between the house and the base which required the roses to obscure the gap. 


The roof is from the Tim Holtz Village Rooftops die made of watercolor paper painted with gesso and a layer of Ranger Distress Spun Sugar. The door is antiqued with Spun Sugar paint as well. I probably should have used Picked Raspberry for that though. The little front step is a piece of wood I scavenged from my brother's shop. I painted it with Distress Pumice Stone paint. 

The base has a spot cut out for 2 LED lights so the house will light up. It's about 5-6 layers of corrugated cardboard glued together with the very top layer smaller than the others so I could made it curve a little and look like a hill. I used some left over brown packing paper for paper mache to cover the cardboard. I painted it a darker green that was kind of shiny and too bright so I toned it down with some Distress Grit Paste, a little yellow, Distress Mowed Lawn and then splotches of the darker green to look like a lawn that was just starting to grow in the spring.

I needed a picket fence for this country house so I used a die from La La Land that cuts cardboard pretty easily and glued 3 layers together painted with gesso and Martha Stewart Mother of Pearl paint. It's white with just a little sheen to it. 

After I saw the photos, I realized I neglected to paint the edges of the paper on the roof. I went back and did that. I also took pictures while some of the glue was drying. Sometimes when I am giving a house as a gift I have a deadline that I must meet and I have to take pictures while the glue is still wet.  

I am going to share this project with 4 challenges:
A Vintage Journey - All Aboard  This is a birthday challenge for A Vintage Journey celebrating their 3rd year. My project is a birthday present for a 3-year-old who turns 4 tomorrow. It's vintage but not too grungy. Perfect for the challenge, I hope.
Stamps and Stencils - Chirpy, Chirpy, Cheep, Cheep which is a celebration of birds. I don't have many birds on this project, but just like last year on my Easter houses, I added a bird on the top because I know the little girl will enjoy having a birdie on her little house.
Country View Challenges - Inspired by Tim Holtz - The basic house shape is one I designed myself, but many of the other aspects of the Rose Cottage are inspired by Tim - the crackled siding, the roses, the rooftop, almost all of the colors, the grit paste on the lawn, etc. I guess the big thing about his inspiration is that his products and teaching let our imagination carry out things we couldn't have done otherwise.

Thank you for reading my blog. I hope the transition from winter to spring is going well for you. Our weather is confused which means it confuses the trees too. Mostly I worry about the peach trees in my area of South Carolina because we have a few very cold days coming up after seriously spring-like weather for the past couple of weeks.

7 comments:

  1. Your house is beautiful, I love the contrast between the green and pink and the crackle looks great on the boards, it really gives them a lovely grungy feel. I like the way the garden/yard slopes too and the little bird on the roof is delightful!

    Thanks so much for joining in our All Aboard challenge at A Vintage Journey this month! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing house Lucy, love the colour palette (and I rather like the name Pickled Raspberry!) and what a fabulous design, love the steeply pitched roofs. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey as we celebrate our third birthday and happy 4th birthday to the lucky recipient of your wonderful house! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an amazing house, fabulous project. Thank you for stopping at my blog to leave a comment about my sweet Archie. I'm so heartbroken but I know that times heals and the memories stay. Take care, Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet house! Glad to know you are a house nut like me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous house Lucy! It's so cute & the colours you've used are lovely.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic house Lucy ! Love the colour scheme and the little bird of course ! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. your house is wonderful - I adore the colours and your references to Tim! Thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges and good luck! Hugs rachel xx

    ReplyDelete