Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Final Pieces on the Chateau

Please join me on my new blog - paperglitterglue.com where this project is included with more already added. Thank you. I hope to see you there.

I am finishing the Chateau tonight. The base is next. I finally thought of a cool thing to do with the base to fit this particular house which is more formal than most of my houses.

I've got to glue the chimneys on after I am sure the turrets are fully adhered. I'm really happy about the witch weather vane. It's not perfect, but it twirls and is well anchored. I put a tape roll behind her because she is not balanced and she'll turn so that the heavy broom side is down and you wouldn't be able to see her very well. It's not a problem when I stand the house up though.

I made some design flaws that affected attaching the turrets. I did not make sure that the roof/wall intersection was flat so the turrets poke out a little bit at the roofline. And there is a bit of a gap at the top part of the turret. It's not terrible, but noticeable to me. I don't know if it would bother other people. 

To make the door I glued 3 layers of cardboard together, painted it black and cut out the center door. I used some of the offcuts of the cornerstones to make the stone-framed doorway. I cut a door out from one layer of cardboard and made it a little smaller to fit inside the 3 layers of cardboard that make up the doorway. That way the door is recessed. I glued a piece of black cardstock to the back of the door frame and glued the door in this space. I like the dimensional quality of it. I should have done the upper window the same way, but I didn't think of it when I made the window. 

Thank you for reading. Talk to you later. 

1 comment:

  1. The door looks great! I was wondering about the turret roofs, but it looks good - can't see any issues. I'm intrigued about your idea for the base . . .