Monday, February 5, 2018

It's Going to Work!

The pieces for the Wilkins House are going to fit together!


Testing fitting the pieces of the Wilkins House putz house
I think all the pieces are going to fit together and actually work! I am delighted. The paint color is a mixture of Candied Apple and Fired Brick mixed with sand to give it a rough texture.

This view shows how the front porches will go on the Wilkins House. They are not glued on yet. And there is lots of trim that is needed as well. You see some of the trim in the background. The top part of the front tower has been glued down because it has to fit the angle of the roof so it had to go first. The top piece determines where the top porch floor goes. Then the bottom part of the tower determines where the bottom of the porch goes. And amazingly, they all fit!

I am more likely to eyeball how something goes together rather than measure carefully, but because of all the components of this house I had to improve my measuring skills. Fortunately, I've been pretty successful. I will know for sure when I add the side embellishments and the railing for the porches and the conservatory.

Cardboard pieces for the Wilkins Putz House
These are all the pieces that needed to be painted for the Wilkins house. At least I think that was all of them. I painted one extra sheet of cardboard with gesso and sand in case I needed more stone-textured embellishments. 

Still lots of details on this house to come - trim around the roof, roof shingles which I'm going to make to look like slate, 2 chimneys, the details around the conservatory, the front columns, quoins (can't forget the quoins), stone front stairs and then landscaping. The most challenging part is an ornate little princess balcony that is at the top of the tower - haven't really worked that out yet. Probably another week or two before I get the house done. This is a seriously time-consuming house. I am ready to go back to Halloween houses so I can quit worrying about perfect fits and I can paint streaks on the house to distress it and use dark colors that I am more comfortable with and so on.

Previous links to making the Wilkins House from the first to the last one:

Next Putz House for Habitat
Putz Plan Progress
Wilkins House Putz Progress Prototype 4
Spring Mansion - The Evolution of a Putz House
Spring Mansion - What I learned from crafting a Prototype


That's the brief update for today. Thank you for following me on this Putz house-making journey.

Please join my on my new blog - paperglitterglue.com where this project is included with more already added. Thank you. I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment